UFC fighter Gilbert Burns (19-3)
MMA fighters are savages. They are the best athletes on the planet earth, and — as human beings — have a wide-ranging set of interests. Who are they as people? What makes them tick? What does each athlete have in common with the fans that cheer them on? This series fills in those blanks and gets to the heart of the matter, while exploring what makes your favorite fighters who they are.
Gilbert “Durinho” Burns is a fighter in the UFC welterweight division and is one of the world’s best fighters. He is also a three-time Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Champion and World Cup gold medalist. The man is credentialed. Burns is also ranked No. 2 in the UFC welterweight rankings.
Burns has been competing in the UFC since 2014. In his 19 wins, he has 14 finishes – eight by submission and six by knockout.
‘Durinho’ started his career in the lightweight division, but in 2019, he moved up in weight and has looked unstoppable at welterweight. He is riding a six-fight win streak; four of those have been in the welterweight division. Two of his most recent wins have come over a former title challenger and former UFC champion, capping off a fantastic 2020.
In his most recent win, he dominated Tyron Woodley at UFC on ESPN: Woodley vs. Burns to earn a UFC title shot. It was Burns’ first UFC main event, and he delivered. Originally, Burns was going to fight for the title at UFC 251, the first event on ‘Fight Island’; however, COVID put a halt to that.
In the biggest fight of his UFC career, Burns returns to action in the main event at UFC 258. He fights former teammate and training partner, Kamaru Usman.
When asked what we should expect from his fight, Burns said, “A war and a victory.”
Here is a list of UFC fighter Gilbert Burns’ favorite things.
- Favorite food – My wife’s beef stroganoff
- Favorite drink – Tea with lemon
- Favorite color – Blue
- Favorite all-time fight to watch – Robbie Lawler vs. Rory McDonald II
- Favorite knockout – José Aldo vs. Chad Mendes
- Favorite of your own fights – My fight against Alex Oliveira
- Favorite sport to watch other than MMA – Jiu-jitsu
- Favorite submission to practice – Armlock
- Favorite athlete – Rafael Mendes
- Favorite movie – Unbroken
- Favorite TV show – TV shows about sports
- Favorite music genre – Pagode and funk
- Favorite band or musician – Buchecha and Menos é mais
- Favorite place to travel to – Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
- Favorite video game – Fortnite on Xbox
- Favorite animal – Dog
- Favorite holiday – Christmas
- Favorite hobby – Jiu-jitsu training
- Favorite quote – “The more I train the better my luck is”
Check out the rest of my Humanizing series!